Saturday 14 October 2017

Alex Rodman's story

Former Brakes player Alex Rodman was the subject of a full page feature in The Times on Saturday. He has been an ever present for Shewsbury this season, scoring twice and contributing five assists.

Now living in Solihull, he played for the Brakes for three years while studying for a business studies degree at Nottingham Trent university. He was paid £30 a week and then in his last year at uni went to Tamworth where he earned £60-£70 a week.

He went on play for Aldershot Town and got three England C caps. However, he was then diagnosed with blood clots all over his lungs, had to go to hospital and was on Warfarin for three months. With his career apparently at an end, he broke down in tears but went on to play more than 200 games.

Rodman's father established Warwick Sports & Leisure.

Now aged 30, he is taking a master's in sports directorship at Manchester Metropolitan University. 'I found the more I dive into books, the more I read and learn and challenge myself, the more I grow as a person and a player. I feel that not only am I in the best shape of my life, fitness-wise, but also intelligence-wise with the decisions I make on the pitch and off.'

No comments:

Post a Comment