Friday 22 January 2021

Stepping up to the plate

The board of Leamington FC faces some difficult choices.  They are in possession of all the relevant information so anything I say is from behind a veil of ignorance.

I think that the classification of the National League North and Soith has created some problems, albeit it has allowed us to continue playing.   Some clubs are full-time like moneybags AFC Fylde, but many are community clubs like us.

One thing I am sure about is that the secretary of state will not be persuaded to turn loans into grants.  The Government is already heavily in debt and giving money to football clubs is not generally popular.   If money is given it should really be focused on community clubs contributing through training schemes for youngsters etc.

A judgment about whether to accept loans or not is a difficult call.  I just think it is unfortunate to suspend the season when we are doing so well.   Will it be possible to reassemble the team in the summer?   What will happen to Hollers?  We will incur some fixed costs anyway: the pitch has to be maintained and the electricity supply, such as it is, connected.

Last summer fans raised over £30k for the club.   I only put in a few hundred then but if the board gives the green light I am willing to put in a four figure sum and I don't mean £1k.   I hope others would step up to the plate as well.   After all, I would rather give it to the club than to the taxman in a rumoured wealth tax,

Since I wrote this post, the National League has been suspended for two weeks.  Fans hope this will put some pressure on the secretary of state.   I am sceptical, but hope they are right.  It is possible he might come up with a face saving formula where clubs were given money for their community facing activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment