Saturday 22 October 2022

Coleman quits as Lockheed boss

At the end of October 1972 Lockheed Leamington accepted ‘with regret’ the resignation of manager Geoff Coleman.  ‘A former Lockheed player, Coleman has been at the helm of the club since March 1969 when he replaced Syd Ottewell.  He was with Northampton for five years and moved to Lockheed as a player and was then at Rugby and Redditch.  

During his three-and-a-half years in charge, Coleman has guided Brakes to Birmingham Senior Cup victories in 1969 and this year, but the side has struggled to make an impact at the league level.  He started the season “with a powerful squad capable of pushing for the title”.  But a dismal slump has brought the team seven successive defeats and eleven games without a win.  And 11 points now separate them from the Division One (North) leaders.

Coleman admitted to being “shocked” by the club’s form.   “I honestly feel we are capable of a lot more.   But perhaps a new man can introduce fresh ideas to bring about an improvement.”  He says he would like to remain in football – “it is part of my life and not just a job” – and intends to keep in touch with the non-league scene.  It is understood that Lockheed will be looking for a player-manager. ‘

‘Coleman admitted “I made mistakes – but I have learned from them. “  And he insisted: ‘I did not get the success I promised.”  So the likeable Brakes boss decided to quit.  “It was in the best interests of the club and myself.”  He says: “It was an accumulation of problems which prompted my decision, but I firmly believe this club has the players with the talent to rise to at least a middle-order spot this season.”   

Coleman has seen his hopes and ambitions disintegrate in just over three months.  After building a side with potential at the end of last season he brought in five new players.  “And that was my first mistake – one that I shall never repeat.   We had built a tremendous team spirit, and with all the new faces at the Windmill ground, it was difficult to maintain it.    It is one of those things for which you cannot legislate.   But I will not do it again.  I now believe that once you have built team spirit, you can forsake a little skill within the squad.   That’s not to mean you shouldn’t get better players when the occasion demands, but five was too much.  

My second mistake was to try to do too much on my own.    I felt I was getting too close to the players, and I wanted to get away a little, and appoint someone to do the coaching.”   But Coleman’s plans were again smashed - even before a ball was kicked.  He had all but persuaded Harold Cox, a former Nuneaton Borough skipper, to join him at the Windmill ground, but Cox decided to join Tamworth as manager.  “That decision was a big disappointment to me.  Harold would have been the ideal man.  But when he joined Tamworth, I was left alone.  Our trainer, John Williams, was a big help, but all too often he had too much work on his hands in tending to injuries”’.

‘Apart from two Senior Cup wins there has been little success and Coleman takes his fair share of the blame.  “I don’t blame the players.   They don’t lose on purpose.   What they need is confidence in themselves.”  And so he leaves Lockheed – without entering into slanging matches, quietly, and with respect.   Now the way is open for a go-ahead boss who can woo back the crowds at Lockheed and bring them success.’

 

No comments:

Post a Comment