Sunday 12 March 2023

Knox sets out his stall

Prior to his arrival at the Windmill Ground in March 1973 new manager Jimmy Knox set out his hopes and plans   ‘So what made him decide to leave [Rugby Town] and join Lockheed?  “Insecurity more anything,” says the Scot.   “Town could not guarantee anything and if the worst happened, then the players could get fixed up easily.  But I would be left out in the cold.”   And what of the future?   Says Knox: “I hope to do even better with Brakes.  I have a free hand with a budget that’s a wee bit higher, and it’s a new challenge for me.  I believe the club has the potential to do well.”’

‘Any promises?  “None, only that if the players give me 100 per cent, they will have every chance, I can promise them this – that I’m a player’s manager.   I shall be honest with them, and I expect them to be honest with me.  It’s my job to get the players on my side, I stand and fall by them. The lads at Rugby did a lot for me, and I shall not forget it.  Now I start all over again.”

He starts by telling his players that there will be no “settling down” period.  “I don’t believe in it,” he says.  “We shall be approaching every match with the same idea – to win.   I am not going to promise that we shall be gaining promotion next season, but that will be the intention.   I am not a believer in saying let’s aim for a halfway spot and then consolidation.  That’s a defeatist attitude.  You have to reach for the top from the start of the season.”   Knox will spend the next few weeks having a good look at the side before he names his retained list.  “It will be my judgment and no-one else’s.   It’s now up to the players,” he says.’

‘As Knox moves in committee man Bill Branston steps down after four “reasonably successful” months as caretaker manager.  Branston, a former Aston Villa goalkeeper, who has stood in between Windmill managers before, took over from Geoff Coleman in October.   And he has guided Brakes out of trouble with quiet, sincere leadership that has placed the club on a much firmer platform.  Coleman’s 17 matches this season produced a grim record of two wins, five draws and 10 defeats. 

Branston took over and immediately ended a seven match losing run when his first team selection drew at Banbury United.  His full record is played 24, won 10, drawn 4, lost 10.   And Branston thinks it could have been a lot better: “Some of our defeats should have been avoided but I really think we have made progress during the last four months.  Team spirit has definitely improved and Jimmy will be taking over a first class set of lads.” 

Now Knox faces a comfortable run in of 10 matches – seven of them at the Windmill.  And Branston is confident that Brakes can win all the home games and end the season in a respectable position.   “I am pleased to be handing over to Jimmy.   He is a great bloke, a first class professional and a man who could bring about an immediate improvement.  I have enjoyed my spell in the manager’s chair but it will be nice to sit back and watch from now on.”’

 

No comments:

Post a Comment